Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How we got started....

We were living in Curwensville, PA...and I was working as an antique dealer, and worked at an antique co-op. We decided to go to Adamstown, PA- which is considered to be the antique capitol of the world to look for antiques, so I looked for a Bed and Breakfast for us to stay at, because I had never been to one. We stayed at the Barnyard Inn in their carriage house. They had alot of animals on their property, like llamas and deer, and I thought Jordan would like that. We loved staying there. The innkeepers were awesome, the food was great, and it was so different than staying at a hotel. It was much more personal. I had gone to school to be a travel agent, and I loved cooking and I love decorating, I love big old houses, and I really like people ...so I thought this was the perfect combination of everything for us. We sort of had been looking to move, for awhile...and were looking in the Pocono area. But, we could never find anything we really liked. When our best friends who lived in Curwensville up and told us one day that they were moving to Greenville, SC...we thought let's move now for sure, so on the day they told us they were moving...I went on the internet and started looking for houses within driving distance from where we were living, that could have the potiential for being a Bed and Breakfast. I must have looked at hundreds of house, there was only 1 I liked, and it happened to be in Reedsville, PA- which we had been going to for years....because we use to come down to the antique flea market every Wednesday to buy and sell antiques, so we knew a little about the area, and we thought it was a really quaint Amish/Mennonite area. So, I found this house, and went to show it to Jimmy, but it was gone...I couldn't find the listing for it...so I knew who the realtor was, so I called them, and they said they had just come off the contract with it, but they could still show it, if we were interested.
So, we made an appointment to come see it in March of 2002. I knew the moment I walked on the front porch that this was going to be my house. There was a letter E on the front screen door, and that's the letter my last name begins with...so I said..."this is my house". There was even the outline on the carport of where a letter E had been there at one time. I just loved this house...it definately needed alot of work, but I didn't care, I knew it had alot of potiential.
So, we put an offer on it, contingent upon us selling our current house. We sold our house, and were moved here in the middle of July 2002- it was about 100 degrees out on the day we moved here. Moving here was a nightmare...the moving company had goofed on the size truck we had reserved, and we had to drive about an hour away just to get the smaller one. Jimmy only had a couple days for us to get moved....we had to get an extension from the buyers of our old house, to be able to stay there until the closing was done here...but the people we bought this house from, would not let us come in ahead of time and do any cleaning at all, so imagine how dirty it was...having sat empty for 1 year. My bother-in-law and sister-in-law helped us move...it was such hard work. For the first month we lived here, I had no stove, because they had an old gas stove here that would have blown up, and I sold my stove with my old house...so I had to get a 220 line put in, and everyone was busy (electricians)...so we ate sandwiches for a month- because I couldn't cook anything that wasn't microwaveable. I remember my sister-in-law, was so freaked out over being here at night with me, while our husbands were moving...because in the beginning it was pretty creepy here, there were alot of doors coming in to the house, and it just felt old and kind of scary. Jimmy and his brother, Tommy, didn't get back with the last load of furniture until almost 2am...we had to take the rental truck back, which the company said for the trouble we had with them goofing up our reservation, we would be commensated for it at the end. We actually had to leave stuff behind at our old place that wouldn't fit on the truck. The truck had no air conditioning. They didn't adjust our bill, we ended up having to pay a refueling bill because we didn't take it back filled up...there was nothing open around here that night, but they didn't care. They were so mean about the whole process...that I remember thinking what a terrible company they were, and I was never going to use them again...so with that whole experience .....what happened to us a year later with that same company....is almost unbelieveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment